For Today’s Japan Photo, we shall head over to the local market and enjoy some delicious Yakitori やきとり, which consist of several bite-sized pieces of chicken meat, or chicken offal, skewered on a bamboo skewer and grilled, usually over charcoal.
Did you know that apart from chicken meat, there are many other “chicken parts” that can be made into yakitori too?
- hāto/hatsu (ハート / ハツ) or kokoro (こころ), chicken heart
- rebā (レバー), liver
- sunagimo (砂肝), or zuri (ずり) chicken gizzard
- tsukune (つくね), chicken meatballs
- (tori)kawa ((とり)かわ) chicken skin, grilled until crispy
- tebasaki (手羽先), chicken wing
- bonjiri (ぼんじり), chicken tail
- shiro (シロ), chicken small intestines
- nankotsu (なんこつ), chicken cartilage
- toriniku, all white meat on skewer
Image Credit: T Jarry Photography Facebook Page