Oricon has released its sales rankings for the first half of 2011, and two strong group continue their dominanace in the music industry: the girls from AKB48 and the boys from Johnny & Associates.
AKB48 has already scored two singles that have sold over 1 million copies this year and it is reported that the group has earned more than 6.66 billion yen totaling sales from singles, albums and DVDs.
Johnny & Associates also did very well with Arashi, Kanjiani8 and Akanishi Jin landing in the top sales chart, and Arashi’s sales earning totaled more than 6.59 billion yen just slightly lower than AKB48.
Top 10 Singles in 1st half of 2011
- AKB48 – Everyday, Kachusha – 1,499,026
- AKB48 – Sakura no Ki ni Narou – 1,076,916
- Arashi – Lotus – 624,865
- TVXQ – Why? (Keep Your Head Down) – 284,410
- SKE48 – Banzai Venus – 270,208
- Team Amuse!! – Let’s try again – 262,091
- Kanjani8 – T.W.L / Yellow Pansy Street – 252,634
- Akanishi Jin – Eternal – 241,630
- Not yet – Shuumatsu Not yet – 237,813
- Itano Tomomi – Dear J – 215,466
Top 6 Earners
- AKB48 – 6.66 billion yen
- Arashi – 6.59 billion yen
- EXILE – 4.68 billion yen
- Amuro Namie – 2.7 billion yen
- SNSD (Shoujo Jidai) – 2.6 billion yen
- KARA – 2.15 billion yen
I think Arashi is still much more profitable than AKB48 considering the fact that it takes alot more resources to maintain a team of 48 girls and the guys in Arashi definitely gets a bigger cut of the pie XD